Friday, December 23, 2011

Divorce Books for Little Kids

Many will soon be giving or receiving holiday gift cards for a certain megabook chain or amazon.com.  So maybe now's a good time for some recommendations of books about divorce.  I just created two listamania lists on amazon.com.  One of them is a list of my recommended books for small children about divorce, and the other one is for a couple of books I recommend avoiding.   Below you will find the substance of both lists and my comments.  Happy Holidays!

These are good books for divorcing parents or other caregivers with children of preschool age. Read them first to see if they make sense for you and your own child.
Standing on My Own Two Feet: A Child's Affirmation of Love in the Midst of Divorce
1.  Standing on My Own Two Feet: A Child's Affirmation of Love in the Midst of Divorce by Tamara Schmitz





Dinosaurs Divorce
2.  Dinosaurs Divorce by Marc Brown
The list author says:
"This book should stimulate discussion of more serious issues that may come up with slightly older children.  Use what you need, and ignore what you don't. You might choose to skip the part with mommy dinosaur drinking a martini with wine and liquor bottles, and a spilled pill bottle, behind her."


Two Homes
3.  Two Homes by Claire Masurel





Mom's House, Dad's House for Kids: Feeling at Home in One Home or Two
4.  Mom's House, Dad's House for Kids: Feeling at Home in One Home or Two by Isolina Ricci


Was It the Chocolate Pudding?: A Story For Little Kids About Divorce
5.  Was It the Chocolate Pudding?: A Story For Little Kids About Divorce by Sandra Levins



When I Miss You (The Way I Feel Books)

6.  When I Miss You (The Way I Feel Books) by Cornelia Maude Spelman


OK, now here are a few books to avoid:

If Daddy Only Knew Me
1.  If Daddy Only Knew Me by Lila Sprague McGinnis





Mom and Dad Don't Live Together Anymore
2.  Mom and Dad Don't Live Together Anymore by Kathy Stinson



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My younger sister loves the book The Dinosaur Divorce and I wish it could help her to move on to what happen to our family.

international child abduction said...

Hey, Steven Ballard thanks for sharing these amazing bunch of books.